Thursday, August 9, 2018

SDCC 2018: Freebie Haul

WARNING: This post is pic-heavy! You may have trouble viewing on mobile devices and devices not connected to wi-fi.

Okay, so my last post contained all the items I physically bought at San Diego Comic-Con (SDCC) 2018, minus the Toddland Kuchi Kopi. However, SDCC is known for all their freebies and it seemed this year like companies were giving out way more than they did before. Just tons of free stuff and if I hadn't had to get on a plane with a weight restriction for luggage, I would have grabbed a lot more. Books and posters start to add up in weight though.
[Official SDCC Krypton Bag]

Going into SDCC I knew that the free bags for attendees were from mainly from DC shows, movies, and comics, with a couple of sponsored shows thrown in there. As a fan of the DC shows from CW, I really wanted Bebo! I would have been happy with any of the bags from any of the shows though- Black Lightning, The Flash, Super Girl. I didn't get any! Instead, I literally received the worst possible bag choice there was: "Krypton". I was so disappointed.
[Official SDCC Aquaman Bag]

My con partner, Agent Afronaut, drew the Aquaman movie bag. Slightly better than mine, but still not the best. In the past we have gotten good bags, but I guess this just wasn't our year.
[Official SDCC Pins: Superman & Aquaman]

The bags came with free pins this year and did not necessarily coordinate with the bag you were handed. For example, just because I had gotten the Krypton bag, it didn't guarantee me to get a Superman pin. Although, as odds would have it, we ended up getting coordinating pins to our bags. Still not thrilled with them. I really wanted the classic Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman, or the Flash. Again, I didn't get any of those!
[Art by Sergio Calvet]

These were free postcards from the Brotherson & Calvert table. They write and illustrate the Magic of Myths series. I purchased one of the books from them about fairies and I hope to be able to read it soon! They had a huge stack of these for people to take for free and encouraged people to take them! I wanted multiples, but also didn't want to be greedy, so I only have one of each. I still haven't decided if I'm going to gift these away or keep them.
[Official Dark Horse art poster designed and signed by Camilla D'errico]

I already talked about meeting Camilla D'errico and then getting to her booth late, so I couldn't get anything signed. However, I learned that she was at SDCC, because I passed the Dark Horse booth and they were having a free signing from her! Prior to going to the con, I didn't even know she was going to be there! While I am sad that I didn't get to talk to her more and get my purchases signed, I was happy I did get to meet her, talk to her, and get this free poster signed!

The following pictures are from the Marvel booth:
Marvel might not have had a lot of guests, panels, and previews this year, but they had a ton of freebies and they were just left on a table for people to grab at will. I snagged some posters and comic books that featured new and upcoming series, as well as snippets of comic book issues.
[Nickelodeon SDCC Giveaways]

Nickelodeon seems to get bigger and bigger every year at SDCC. This year they handed out a free pack of Mysticons trading cards from Topps and an issue of "Rise of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" from IDW. To be honest I have not watched either of these series on Nick.
[Mysticons Trading Cards]

Here's a look at the cards I received from the pack I got. I honestly have no idea who these characters are though.
[SDCC Total Knock Out Towels]

While standing in line for the Laika Live Experience these ladies were going around handing out these free mini towels for the CBS show: "Total Knock Out".
[Reusable bags from California Coast Credit Union.]

While walking through the Gas Lamp, we came across the California Credit Union, who had a table where you could spin a wheel and get free products from them. We won free reusable bags and we always need these, because of the fee charged in the state of California for a store to give you bag with your purchase. - I don't know anything about the credit union itself though. They are only located in southern California and I live in the complete opposite part of the state.
[SDCC Exclusive Bob's Burgers fanny packs from FOX.]

It was just by a crazy chance that I got into the FOX freebie line and at that time they were handing out free Bob's Burgers fanny packs. They're super cute, but I don't use fanny packs, so they'll probably be given away.
[Laika Studio Masks]

I saved the best freebies for last! I know I already blogged about the amazing stuff at the Laika Live event and I reiterated that on the Afronauts' podcast, but they seriously were amazing and so kind to the fans! - To start, while we were in a long line, they handed out these cute character masks and we received an extra free one upon entering the exhibit. 
[SDCC Laika Live EXCLUSIVE poster]

The first part of the Laika Live Experience was trivia, in which the group you were with all sat around and answered trivia questions about the movies they made. It was really fun and these 2 little girls totally whooped everyone in our group's butt! However, everyone was a winner no matter what! Everyone received these free posters that featured the art of their upcoming movie, "Missing Link". Several of us won beach balls that featured Coraline on it as well.

[Laika Studios Coraline Tee]

Agent Afronaut snagged this Coraline tee for me. It's like an XL, I think, but it's great for a lounge shirt! I honestly just wanted everything Coraline, lol. Or Kubo, but they didn't have any Kubo shirts there.
[Laika Studios Coraline Tee]

I personally won this tee! Another reason why the crew was great there: They went out of their way to make sure I could get a Coraline shirt in my size! I really wanted a shirt I could wear out and about and I'm so glad I have one now!
[Laika Sudios Coraline Hat]

We also scored this Coralina baseball cap, which is super cute and I actually do plan to wear it! I'm not a huge hat person, but they really help when you're having a bad hair day.

This concludes my coverage of SDCC 2018! I swear this is my last big post about it. Stay tuned for the Funko Pops! post as soon as I get my last remaining one and I'll be doing some detailed posts on my other blogs later. Thanks so much for reading this or any of my SDCC posts if you did! Tickets for 2019 for this year's badge holders should go on sale in October and I'll hopefully be able to snag some! I'll keep you updated and look forward to next year's SDCC!

No comments:

Post a Comment