Monday, July 23, 2018

SDCC 2018 - Part 2: Day 2 (Friday)

Day 2, was a bit more relaxed for us. I made a conscious decision to not let any of the absurdity of SDCC bother me. We slept-in - well, as much as one can "sleep-in" during SDCC. We arrived at the con around 10am. It was actually a great feeling to be able to just walk in and not have to stand in a line to get into the convention center or being herded for a half an hour.

We walked in and took time to take pictures with cosplayers and converse with fans, which is what a convention should really be about- fans coming together to appreciate the arts and pop culture. Then we went to get coffee, because I can only go about 1 day without and that 1 day had passed.
[Black Panel]

After that, we went to the Black Panel. I have to admit that it was a difficult panel to sit through. It touched on a lot of the most difficult issues Black people face not only in media, but also in every day life. They played some really sad news stories from the past few years, but I'm glad SDCC brought these issues to light. I feel it's important for us to address them, because they influence our stories and writings.
[The Peanuts Family Album panel.]

Next was the Peanuts Family Album panel. I have to admit that I actually learned quite a bit. I've not followed the Peanuts since I was a young teen. I grew up watching the old 80's cartoon re-runs and the old movies from the 70's and 80's. I didn't really follow the comics past my childhood, but I use to rent the books from the library. - Well, the panel was mostly about the comics, but featured characters from the entire franchise's history; mostly focusing on the rare characters. I honestly didn't know there was so much to the series! I especially appreciated their commentary of the social structures and ethnic moves from the franchise.

We lucked out, because the Afrofuturism panel was in the same room and right after the Peanuts Family Album panel. This panel was amazing! The best panel I attended! It was funny, informational, and inspiring all at once. I can also say it was an honor to be present in what was very likely Nichelle Nichol's last convention appearance! She regaled us with the tale of how Dr.Martin Luther King Jr. talked her out of quitting Star Trek! They also covered a lot of topics about the influence and presence of all ethnicities in comics, including the lack of and struggle for Asian Americans.
[Afrofuturism Panel]

We went back to the exhibit hall after those panels. We finally were able to get into the Peanuts line and it moved faster than we thought it would! A lot was sold out though, but we were able to get the pins our friends wanted. A friend also surprised me with a light-up Kuchi Kopi from UCC! It might not be the original Kuchi Kopi that I wanted, but I did get 1 and the sentimental value cannot be matched!

Then we had to go and gather for the Black Heroes Matter flash mob. I've never been a part of any sort of flash mob. Not a fun dance one or one to make an societal impact. It was really amazing to see so many people unite for one cause and in such a positive manner! I am honored to have been apart of this years gathering!
[2018 Black Heroes Matter Flash Mob]

We finished the con with a few more purchases from the exhibit hall, including: Ash Evans and Camilla D'Errico! Though they weren't specifically in Artist Alley, I did buy art at the con! Then it was time to say goodbye and get ready to fly out the next morning.

Overall, I did have a good time, but obviously there was a lot left to be desired on Comic-Con's end. I will definitely be trying to get tickets next year. I've had a bad year at some cons before and returned the following year to have a great time! So, I will give SDCC the benefit of the doubt, because I have had a good time in the past and wait to see how next year is.

Stay tuned for more con pics and haul pics! I welcome comments and feel free to leave your link below if you also have a blog post on the con! I'd love to see read about your views on the events!

©Flash Mob photo was taken from the Black Heroes Matter Twitter page.

No comments:

Post a Comment