Wednesday, September 23, 2015

YaoiCon 2015

This past weekend I attended YaoiCon in Burlingame, California. YaoiCon is an adult con, which means you are required to be 18 years or older to attend. For those who don't know what "Yaoi" refers to, it is the male/male relationships in Anime. So, obviously, it was an Anime based convention. YaoiCon is not brand new, it's been around since 2001, but it was my first time attending.

***I promise there is no adult content in this post. All ages are welcome to view this post!
[YaoiCon 2015 Saturday Badge]

I only had a Saturday pass, but the convention did go from Friday-Sunday (September 18-20). It was a pretty small convention with a small attendance.

Side note: YaoiCon wins HANDS DOWN on the badge game! I can't think of a better badge I've gotten from a con. Fanime comes close, but YaoiCon definitely dominated!
[ear cuffs by BottiVingelo]

The dealer's room contained the least amount of vendors I've yet to see at a con. The room was a decent size, but again, it didn't have much to hold. - One thing I did get at the con were the ear cuffs pictured above. A table by the company, BottiVingelo, caught me eye. They had very unique looking jewelry that are made by two artists. The items displayed were very fairy-esque. They also had head pieces and ranged from princess-like to Medieval. Their ear cuffs are very Elvish to me, because of the point at the top, but I like that. I originally fell for a darker piece with a turquoise color, but then I spotted the mint and had to have it! Mint is my color! Apparently, they have been at a few of the cons that I have been to already, including SDCC, I just never saw them for some reason. I was really glad I was able to see them at YaoiCon and I guess that's a benefit of a small con.
[Stevonnie & Garnet keychains by ArtistBlack]

The Artist Alley in the con had a decent number of artists in attendance, especially for a small con, but the room was almost unbearable! It was so crowded. The room was way too small and the setup of the tables were oddly arranged. It was hard to maneuver through the narrow aisles that were made and all of the attendees in the room.

I had to work before the con, so I did not have as much time to browse. Before the Artist Alley closed, I got the two keychains in the picture above- Stevonnie and Garnet from Stephen Universe. My Stephen Universe charm collection is growing! These really caught my eye and stood out too me. They are by an artist who goes by- ArtistBlack.
[reverse side of the Garnet keychain]

The awesome part of the Garnet keychain is that it is reversible! You can see an image on both sides! The images look slightly different, but I think it gives it character!

Overall, I felt the con was okay, but lacking. Perhaps it is the location or maybe it's the time of year. I'm not sure. It could also be the highlighted topic of the con as well, Yaoi. Either way, I left feeling it was all a little lackluster. Although I was told that some of the other events that were happening later that night would be fun, I was unable to attend. Maybe next year.

If you attended YaoiCon let me know about your experience! I would love to hear your views! Any other comments are free to be left below!

No comments:

Post a Comment